New Pics and New Problems
Last week I added another 12 little goldfish to help keep the Nitrate levels where they needed to be to accomadate the plants that were flowering. The levels finally got to where I was comfortable with them. Then the pump problems started.
The little pump I have that has been running 24/7 for a year, finally started giving out. In the process, it was still pumping, but it was not pumping enough water up to the grow bed to keep up with the standpipe drain. So I was loosing water in the growbed and not realizing it. It’s sorta hard to tell due to the fact that the standpipe is set to keep water level at about 2 inches below the gravel. When I realized what was happening, I added fresh water to keep levels in the grow bed and not let the roots dry out. By adding new water, I was diluting the system water without realizing it.
I did a water test and it was all out of wack, Ph was pretty much ok at 8.0-8.2 ammonia was .50+, nitrites were off the scale and very dangerously high. Nitrates also very high at 160.
I let them go for a day hoping they would settle down but keeping a close eye on the Nitrite levels. If those levels stay high for extended periods, you will start losing fish. It affects their gills and they will die. I hooked up the new pump and added a 3/4 in. bar with 1/4″ holes in it for added air and DO (disolved oxygen) hoping that would help with the high levels. This pipe was placed across the FT for max aeriation, and the fish loved it.
I took a water sample this morning and thankfully, all readings were pretty much back to normal. I was getting nervous though. Here are a few pictures for your pleasures 8)
New plumbing again